First Published
Time and time again I’ve read the words, “write what you know.” Well, I’ve always sort of ignored that rule, because what I know best is banking—and let’s face it, banking is not the most exciting topic to write or read. But, lo and behold, I should have started listening to that rule a long time ago.
I like to remain an active guy—wife, kids, work, more hobbies than any sane man can count. So, when the opportunity came for me utilize my finely honed writing skill in an effort to help our local Chamber of Commerce fill their newsletter, I jumped at the chance. No big deal, right?
As it turns out, the Chamber of Commerce newsletter is an insert that goes into one of our local papers, The Penn Valley Courier. The Penn Valley Courier is published and owned by Mike and Linda Dobbins, the same individuals who publish The Wildwood Independent. To make a long story short, Mike ended up reading the article, and asking me if he could run it in The Wildwood Independent because he thought that it was important material for Lake Wildwood (my home) residents to read.
So, my first article is going to be published. It’s a local paper, but at a readership of about 10,000, it has a much higher circulation than a great deal of small publications that have rejected my submissions in the past.
Either way, I promised to treat myself to a nice cigar when I finally got published.
I guess it’s time to go shopping.
- Matt
I like to remain an active guy—wife, kids, work, more hobbies than any sane man can count. So, when the opportunity came for me utilize my finely honed writing skill in an effort to help our local Chamber of Commerce fill their newsletter, I jumped at the chance. No big deal, right?
As it turns out, the Chamber of Commerce newsletter is an insert that goes into one of our local papers, The Penn Valley Courier. The Penn Valley Courier is published and owned by Mike and Linda Dobbins, the same individuals who publish The Wildwood Independent. To make a long story short, Mike ended up reading the article, and asking me if he could run it in The Wildwood Independent because he thought that it was important material for Lake Wildwood (my home) residents to read.
So, my first article is going to be published. It’s a local paper, but at a readership of about 10,000, it has a much higher circulation than a great deal of small publications that have rejected my submissions in the past.
Either way, I promised to treat myself to a nice cigar when I finally got published.
I guess it’s time to go shopping.
- Matt

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home